Techy / geeky question

Wonder if anyone's got any bright ideas?
I've bought an external hard drive enclosure and 4 x 2TB hard drives to convert about 1000 DVDs of photographs into my "library" so that I have direct access to them rather than having to hunt down the DVD with the images on each time.
Rather than run them as the 4 seperate hard drives, I think it's best to have them in RAID array. But which sort? Every website says RAID 0 is no good because it doesn't back up the data. But I've already got the DVDs, and I need (a rough calculation) 4TB of space. So if I configured them as RAID 1, 5 or 10, I'd only have 4TB so the unit would be immediately full with no space for any more. And then I've now heard mention of RAID 6 (as well as the other numbers), so now just plain old confused.
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/
Plus there's a couple of websites describe how to use Windows disk management to convert the drives into RAID, but when I try I get error messages from the "Virtual Disk Server". Any more birght ideas from anyone techy out there?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountants' dinner

Bradford concert